Sunday, June 5, 2011

A day late and a dollar short

I can't seem to get my dinners up the same night this week. Oh well, I'll tell you about last night's Healthy Turkey Loaf. Sounds disgusting, right? That's what I thought. But I'm a sucker for any main dish involving meat that has only 112 calories, so I tried it out anyway. It turned out so good.

I doubled the recipe so I could use up my full pound of turkey and so that it would fit in a normal size loaf pan, and I also used only green peppers since I didn't have any red or yellow on hand, and it still turned out great. I've never come across a meatloaf recipe that doesn't use milk, this uses salsa instead to hold it together and add a little kick! I ended up upping my portion sizes a bit, cutting the loaf into 8 slices rather than the recommended 10, but that only added up to 140 calories a slice, so I'm still immensely pleased. Now when I crave my much higher calorie brown sugar meatloaf I have a healthy alternative to turn to. Not to take anything away from the brown sugar meatloaf, because it is phenomenal.

And in Cricket related news, we have gone over 24 hours accident free! How, you may ask. Honestly I was at my wits end, we were watching her like a hawk and she would still pee on the carpet at a moment's notice. Then Jim got some advice from veteran dog raisers to crate her. I had known this was an option but I couldn't get it through my head that we'd be locking her in a tiny cage while we're home and awake. But she loves her crate, and it gives Jim and I some blessed time to not have to pay full attention to her. And, to top it all off, now she knows that when she comes out of the crate, if she doesn't do "her business" she goes right back in until she does. Thank goodness! I know we're not out of the woods yet, but seeing some success has my spirits up.

Tonight I'll be making a balsamic and rosemary salmon, burglar and asparagus. I'm hungry already.

---------------
A little later
---------------

Just finished dinner. It was tasty, but not as delicious as I had hoped. Not that there was anything wrong with it, just the flavors were very subtle and I didn't completely love the way the rosemary flavor blended in. Anyway, here it is:

1 comment:

  1. Both dishes sound really delicious! To make our meatloaf a little healthier, we do a half/half beef and mushrooms - the mushrooms are definitely "meaty" and cut down on the calories =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...