Monday, June 20, 2011

Christmas in June

So as I threatened, I made those Italian chocolate spice Christmas cookies that I've been obsessing over for awhile. It turns out the recipe I found on allrecipes was really close!

Since Jim started working nights (his first one last night) I had all day while he slept to whip these up. I refrigerated the dough overnight to make it easier to roll into balls.


I baked them for just 10 minutes because my oven tends to bake hot.


Then I covered them with the chocolate glaze (and a few drops of red food coloring to make it shiny), which was very messy.



And Jim recently told me that he thinks I need to work on my food presentation for the photos because they don't come out looking as good as they taste...so here's my effort at making them look cuter. I really just need to learn some more about photography.


So there you have it, best cookies in the world and only 95 calories a pop.

Here's the secret recipe.

Italian Chocolate Spice Cookies

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
Red food coloring

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.

Cream the butter, white sugar, eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, stir the flour, 2/3 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.

Add flour mixture to butter mixture. If too sticky add more flour, if too dry add a little milk.

Add nuts and mix with hands. Roll into little 1/2 - 1 inch balls.  Place on the cookie sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes, cookie should be firm. Do not overcook.

Remove from oven, let rest on the sheet for a few moments and remove to wax paper. When cool, frost with confectioner's sugar and cocoa glaze.

To Make Glaze: Combine 4 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, add about 1/2 cup milk and about 2-3 drops of red food coloring. If a thicker consistency is desired, add more powdered sugar a little at a time. Pour small amount of glaze over each cookie.

6 comments:

  1. From someone who's been there - it's a lot about the camera, rather than the photographer when it comes to improving these shots. If you're really into this look into a DSLR camera. Makes most anything look GOOOOOD :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. or, because I was just informed that suggesting a multi-hundred dollar camera might be a bit much. Experiment with taking your pictures in natural light instead of your flash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I like both ideas. I will certainly look into the camera for the long term, I've always wanted to experiment more with photography. Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a lot out of pioneer woman's photography section when I first started figuring out my DSLR.

    Can I be your official blog stalker now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...of course!!! I love pioneer woman, but I've always been so distracted by the food I've never looked into the photo section. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.pennydelossantos.com/#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=17&p=1&a=0&at=0

    If you're distracted by food...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...