Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cooking with Puppies

Not literally of course. But Cricket does like to be underfoot. Luckily she took a nap for most of the time we were actually eating. Tonight's dinner was great. I made white chili and the best cornbread I've ever eaten. To put it in perspective, I love honey. And I had some all ready to go but the cornbread was so good by itself that I didn't even need it. That's pretty impressive in my opinion. Just for the record, I may live in the South now, but I like sweet cornbread, which is very un-Southern. Anyway, here are my pictures for the evening:


Cornbread Muffins
(adapted from allrecipes, makes about 14 muffins)

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a muffin pan. Add vinegar to milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine milk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 14-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.





Now that we've got little Cricket bouncing around the place, my own ability to work out has been cut back a bit, so I went back to my previous calorie goals so I can still keep up the progress. Our weekend in Raleigh hurt me a little bit (fries, beer, and a peanut butter fudge milkshake) but I'm getting back in line now.

3 comments:

  1. cornbread looks awesome, but I'd so go for the peanut butter fudge milkshake! PA mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was delish! Yeah I absolutely love peanut butter and it's funny, Jim just hates it (as I'm sure you know) but now that we have Cricket sometimes we use peanut butter as a treat which I think is gradually helping him get over it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...