Monday, July 4, 2011

The Ingredient of the Week

Is real maple syrup. Let me say that again real maple syrup. None of the high fructose corn nonsense, no microwavable plastic jug, and no, Aunt Jemima is not home. I'm talking about real grade A 100% maple syrup, like the kind that Jen gave us for Christmas from Syracuse, New York, which I have subsequently been coveting zealously and parceling out only on the most special of occasions to make it last, although I'm losing that battle.

I started the week with Maple Pecan Cinnamon Rolls, which was a recipe that I modified from a bunch of others, and now I'd like to introduce Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins. I invented this one myself, and they taste somewhere between cupcake and muffin and my favorite Quaker oatmeal breakfast treat.



Here's the recipe.

Ingredients

1/4c butter, softened
1/8c white sugar
1/8c brown sugar
1 egg
1/2c applesauce
1/4c and 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2c flour
1/4c wheat flour
1/2c quick oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Cream together butter and sugars. Add egg, applesauce, syrup and vanilla, mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add to wet, stirring just until all ingredients are moistened. Fill muffin cups lined with paper to 2/3 full and bake about 15-18 minutes at 350. Allow to cool several minutes in pan before removing.

This recipe makes about 10 muffins, at about 177 calories each.


I had to bake something seeing as it's the fourth of July, it's pouring out, and I have to go to work in an hour...obviously it was an important day to bake. Happy Independence Day to everyone, hope yours is as delicious as mine!

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm... (that's the sound of me scheming something) :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...