Monday, September 26, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I'm sick. =(

I don't know if everyone does this or if I just have a touch of the drama queen to me, but when I'm sick I just think about how much I take for granted every day when I don't feel like garbage.  Hot garbage.  I should appreciate my good health more.  When I have it, that is.

Brandy (best friend) says, and I for one believe her, that I'm worrying about wedding details so much that I made myself sick.  I'm sure Jim could vouch that there could be some truth to that idea.  I'm ridiculous, everything will be fine.  I've learned my lesson.

So when you're sick, what do you want?

Obviously, your mom to take care of you, saltines, ginger ale, and chicken noodle soup.  Probably in that order.  For the record, if you happen to have a Jim lying around, he makes a pretty good substitute when a mom is in Kansas. 

So after you drag yourself out of bed, drink like 3 cups of green tea, eat like 5 spoonfuls of honey, and feel sorry for yourself, go ahead and crack open 6 cans, dump them in a crockpot, go back to sleep on the couch, and two hours later you'll have some chicken tortilla soup.

I know, I said chicken noodle, but spicy stuff is good for you when you're sick...I think.  I'm not a doctor, in case you were wondering.  Also, if you have a cup of cooked rice leftover from dinner last night, you should throw that in there too.  I'm not going to be too exact with this one, mostly because it's a recipe for when you have absolutely no time or energy but you still have to stick to your stupid wedding diet.


Six Can Chicken Tortilla Soup
(adapted from allrecipes)


2 cans chicken broth
1 can Tyson white meat chunk chicken
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can Rotel with lime and cilantro
1 can black beans
4 shakes chipotle chile powder
5 shakes chili powder
6 shakes cumin
4 shakes garlic powder
3 shakes salt
3 shakes black pepper
1 cup cooked rice (optional)
Shredded cheese for topping


Drain the chicken, corn, Rotel, and beans.  Rinse the beans.  Dump everything into the crockpot.  Cook on low 2 hours.


Did you like how I measured the spices in shakes?  Oh man, how unprofessional.  I'm going to look at this tomorrow and be so ashamed.  But you know what?  Sometimes you have to take it easy on yourself.  And the soup is easy and delicious, for the record.  Crumble some tortilla chips and throw those on top too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...