Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tay Tu's with Pumpkin Glaze


I have discussed these cookies before at length.  I haven't actually made this specific variation before, but I've mimicked it to the best of my ability here.  

But this is the real deal, straight from the recipe used by real live Italian aunts and grandmothers, specifically around Christmas time, but hey.  Fall is close enough right?

Like I said I made a copycat recipe before and called them "Italian Chocolate Spice Cookies" but their real name is "Tay Tu's" or something like that...possibly pronounced "thay too".  

Now I know I go on and on about these things on the blog...but were you aware that I ramble about them at equal length to friends, coworkers, and anyone else who will even pretend to listen?  It's true.

Anyway a friend suggested a pumpkin glaze as opposed to the traditional chocolate frosting.  I had to do it. 







It was so.  Good.  



Of course I had to make some normal ones as well.  I spent a lot of time trying to decide which I prefer...but I can't.  The best solution is to make them both...hold one in each hand, and alternate bites.   




Tay Tu's with Pumpkin Glaze
(adapted from the American Daughters of Columbus Cookbook, glaze from i am baker)

5 cups flour
pinch salt
1 tsp (rounded) baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups Crisco
4 eggs
1 15oz bottle Hershey's syrup (I used double fudge)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp ground cloves

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk (I used skim)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled

For the cookies, in a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together shortening and sugar until smooth and fluffy.  Add eggs and chocolate syrup, mix well.  Stir in vanilla.

Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until the dough is mixed thoroughly.  Stir in pecans.

Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a cookie sheet (I sprayed mine with baking spray).  Roll dough into about 1.5 to 2 inch balls.  Slightly flatten with palm and place on cookie sheet.  These don't spread too terribly much, but allow 1 to 1.5 inches between cookies.

Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.  Allow cookies to cool completely before icing.

For the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar into the milk until smooth and lump-free.  Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.  If a thicker consistency is desired, add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, whisking to break up lumps.

If you prefer the chocolate glaze, here is that recipe:

4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk 
2-3 drops red food coloring

To Make Glaze: Combine 4 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, add about 1/2 cup milk and about 2-3 drops of red food coloring. If a thinner consistency is desired, add milk 1 Tbsp at a time, if thicker is desired, add powdered sugar. Pour small amount of glaze over each cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...