Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Peanut Butter Apple Bars



Happy Halloween!!!!

Yes, all four exclamations were necessary because I am SUPER excited.

In fact, I probably better keep this short and sweet because trick-or-treaters keep ringing the bell.






A few side notes to all the uncostumed tweens out there...

a) I don't care how old you are, if you're in costume I will gladly give you candy.

b) You have to actually say the words "trick or treat"...standing sullenly just makes me want to slam the door.

c) If you're not wearing a costume, I'll still give you candy (you scare me a little if we're being totally honest), but it's DEFINITELY going to be banana laffy taffy.  And you know nobody likes that.  Yeah.  The Snickers are for people who dress up.

Anyway, have you ever eaten peanut butter with apple slices?  It's delicious!  Here's that idea in bar form.



Peanut Butter Apple Bars
(adapted from two peas and their pod)

Bars

1 stick unsalted butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups diced apple chunks)


Glaze

1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


For the bars: preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a 9x13 pan.

Melt the butter and brown sugar together in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth.  Remove from the heat and stir in peanut butter.  Set aside to cool.

In a separate, large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 

Add the eggs to the peanut butter mixture, one at a time, mixing well after each additions.  Stir in the vanilla.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring until smooth.  Fold in the apple chunks.  

Pour the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges.  Using a sheet of waxed paper, press down until bars are even.  Discard paper.  Bake in the center rack of the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.  Remove pan from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.


For the glaze, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for glaze and whisk until smooth.  Drizzle over cooled bars.  Cut into squares and serve.

3 comments:

  1. These sound good. I'm going to try them.

    I'm with you on the kids that don't say anything when you open the door. What is up with that? This is the first year I really noticed it but it was at least 75% of the kids that just stood there with their bag open and said zippo.

    I got a little disgusted and turned off my lights at 8pm.

    I'm going to try these, they sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repeating myself....

      Delete
    2. Yeah, really strange, I guess it gets worse every year. But the really little kids dressed as Snoopy/Pumpkins/Spiderman/Stormtroopers make up for it. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...