Monday, October 1, 2012

Banana Walnut Bread





Happy October!  It is officially my favorite month.  Are you excited?  I am, oh buddy.

As Jim is woefully aware, among my collection of extensive and ridiculous October rituals, I feel the need to watch at least one scary movie a day all month.  Crazy...totally crazy I know.

I realize that in the food-bloggy world there may not be an abundance of people that care as much as I do about cooking and zombies...but hey.  I'm so into it.  So just in case you are too...or if you're interested...or whatever, here is my October must-watch scary movie list.



Must-Watch October Scary Movie List
(in no particular order)

  1. American Werewolf in London
  2. Sweeney Todd
  3. Rec
  4. Silence of the Lambs
  5. Night of the Living Dead
  6. 28 Days Later
  7. The Descent
  8. Nightmare Before Christmas
  9. Halloween (original)
  10. Psycho
  11. Shaun of the Dead
  12. Dawn of the Dead
  13. Friday the 13th
  14. Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin
  15. Poltergeist
  16. The Ring
  17. Carrie
  18. Alien
  19. Seven
  20. The Shining
  21. Paranormal Activity
  22. The Sixth Sense
  23. The Omen
  24. Nightmare on Elm Street
  25. Ils (They)
  26. The Changeling
  27. Pontypool
  28. Session 9
  29. Cabin in the Woods
  30. Trick or Treat




Okay I'll shut up about the Halloween stuff.  We have 30 days left after all.  

I made some banana bread...that's fall-y right?  I'll tell you this, it's good.  When I was in high school I waited tables at a restaurant/pie pantry/Kansas City tradition called Tippin's, which by some sick twist of fate shut down in 2004.  At Tippin's, they served some of the most delicious banana bread I've ever tasted.  Well this is about as close as I've ever tasted to it.

Enjoy!




Banana Walnut Bread
(adapted from allrecipes)

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 medium bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Set aside for now.

In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Add the flour and stir until batter is smooth.  Fold in sour cream, walnuts and bananas.  Spread into prepared loaf pan.

Bake at 350 on center rack for about 60 minutes, or until a tester (i.e. toothpick inserted in the center) comes out clean.  Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Tippins banana bread. Didn't it have a hint of sugar or brown sugar on top? I wonder if they sprinkled that on during the last 5-10 minutes? Anyway, yum. I have been on a daily quest to make the perfect pie crust. The crust I have mastered, but the contents....not so much. I have been trying different fruit pies and, well, let's just say it's time to move on. I know Phillip thinks I've totally cracked up because there are, like, 4 pies in my 2 by 4 foot kitchen and they are not suitable to share. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there was definitely some sort of delicious sugary topping on the Tippins bread...but it was soft, so I don't know if it was a crumb topping necessarily. So you mastered your crust huh? That is exciting! I can't wait for Christmas to get to try it! What all kinds of fruit filling have you been trying? Love you Mom!

      Delete
  2. Where is the sour cream in the ingredient list?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...