Saturday, September 22, 2012

Naan


Is there anything worse than shopping for jeans? 

I look back on my 16-year-old self with my shiny new driver's license, going to the mall with a friend and just joyfully trying on pair after pair.  Little did I know that just a decade and change later, I'd be much more concerned with pears than pairs. 

I'm sure many ladies can identify.  Even if you don't hate your shape, which I don't HATE it... I mean sure I'd rather be eating a pear than looking like one...but it's not the worst thing in the world.  Still...for some reason jeans are the bane of my existence.  If they fit one place, they're loose in another.

And don't even get me started on the most minor of water/salt/cupcake fluctuations in my system that seem to render one pair or another utterly unwearable.  How is that fair?

What I'm getting at is that I feel like I need a new pair of jeans...but I'm scared.  I know that only regret, harsh lighting, and dissatisfaction are waiting for me that fateful day I decide to walk into that Buckle or American Eagle or whatever it may be.

You know what the answer is?  Yoga pants.  Yoga pants and delcious, soothing, there-for-you carbs.  Carbs think you look fantastic in those pajama pants.  To carbs, the only reason to go to the mall is to get a soft pretzel.  Carbs...let's be best friends.


You may recognize these carby little beauties from the background of my Cocunut Chicken Curry photos yesterday.  That totally happened.

This was also my first experience with man-cooking as I like to call it...aka outdoor grilling.  I can think of no more fitting way to kick off my grilling career than by throwing a little bread on the barby.

This flatbread is best when served warm and paired with a deliciously saucy curry.


Naan
(very lightly adapted from Shutterbean)

2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp salt
4 cups bread flour
1/4 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, pour the yeast and warm water.  Sprinkle about 1 Tbsp taken out of your 1/4 cup of sugar in with the yeast and water.  Stir to dissolve.  Allow to sit 10 minutes until the yeast becomes bubbly and frothy, indicating that it is live and activated.

Stir in remain sugar, milk, egg, salt, and the flour, a little at a time until a dough forms that is not too sticky.  Knead for about 6 minutes on a floured surface, or until the dough is soft and smooth.  Place the dough in an oiled bowl, and cover with a clean, damp cloth.  Allow to rise at room temperature for an hour.

Return to the dough.  Punch it down.  Pinch off about a little at a time, rolling them into about golf ball sized balls.  Place on a floured baking sheet or silpat.  Cover with a clean cloth and let rise another 30 minutes. 

Heat the grill to high.  Oil the grates well.  If your grates aren't looking super sparkly clean, you can also place a sheet of foil over it (using that as your cooking surface instead) brush that with oil.  Working at the grill side, have your dough balls and melted butter at hand.  In your palm, flatten the dough as thin as you can get it. 

Place dough disk on the grill.  Brush the top with butter and after about 2 minutes, flip it.  Brush with butter again (on the already cooked side, whcih is now facing up) and cook an additional minute or until cooked through.  You should get some beautiful looking grill marks.  Repeat until all your dough balls are transformed into delcious naan. 

Serve warm...makes a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...