Friday, September 21, 2012

Coconut Chicken Curry



I know many people agree with me on this, but there are few things I hate more than having to go to the doctor.  Really, the only things worse that come to mind are....off the top of my head....needles and being deprived of food.  Oh wait, I'm getting blood drawn tomorrow and have to fast for the 12 hour prior to that. 

Oh and I work nights.  So at the risk of sounding like a HUGE whiner (which I know I am), it's the perfect storm for me.  I ate an INSANE version of my Green Smoothie to get me through the night though.  Which worked until...oh right about now. 

Enough whining!  Let's talk about that one time when I got to cook and eat something. 

Do you like Indian food?  I don't think there's really any type of food I don't like...but Indian is super delicious.  I think most people, if they dislike Indian food, it's because it's too spicy.  I made this curry tailored to the tastebuds of a non-spice-liker, so even if you fall into that category, this might be worth a try.  Jim also likes neither coconut nor tomatoes...both are featured here.  He's just lucky I didn't thow in peanut butter (gross).

Oh and yes that is naan in there...I'll tell you all about that later.

And for the record, don't feel too bad for me because after they draw my blood, I'm immediately going to replinish myself by downing a gigantic pumpkin spice latte and breakfast sandwich. 

Coconut Chicken Curry
(adapted from allrecipes)

1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 yellow squash, cubed
3 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
2 Tbsp curry
black pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 (14 oz) can lite coconut milk
1 (14.5oz) can stewed diced tomatoes
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp sugar (more to taste)
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
red pepper to taste


Season chicken with black pepper. 

In a large frying pan, heat oil and curry over medium high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring well.  Add onions and garlic and cook an additional minute, stirring to coat.  Add chicken, squash and potatoes, secure lid on pan, and toss to coat, removing lid.  Cook 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently until chicken is cooked through.

Add coconut milk, tomatoes, and tomato sauce, stirring to combine.  Season with 1/2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp sugar, red pepper, and 1 1/2 tsp garam masala.  Adjust these seasonings to taste.  You want the curry to be slightly sweet and spicy...or very spicy if that's your thing. 

Bring curry to simmer, reduce heat to low.  Simmer, stirring occasionally anywhere from 30 minutes (bare minimum) to an hour, or until sauce has thickened a bit.  (If you're in a hurry and starving because you may or may not have been forced to fast for 12 hours and your sauce won't thicken, mix 1 Tbsp cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve it and stir that in.)

Serve over rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...