Thursday, December 1, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cookies


It's here people.  December.  When did that happen?

What have I been doing, oh so festively?  I've been trying to shed the weight that I amassed during Turkey Week 2011...I've been creating a baking schedule (stemming from my neurotic affinity for list-making) for the month of December (hint...cookies), and I've been coping with the fact that Jim and I are back to working totally opposite shifts and seeing each other very rarely.  

But you know what that means?  More time for cookies.  Cookies are probably my favorite baked good.  I hate to narrow it down to just one, but they are certainly up there.  They are so versatile, there are so many varieties, they are smallish so you don't have to feel too guilty about eating a couple, and they make your house smell crazy good.

Speaking of crazy good smelling houses...these cookies.  Way better than any candle.

I couldn't believe that I hadn't made oatmeal raisin cookies for the blog yet!  I know, oatmeal sounds boring and raisins are for old people....but just give these a try.  Literally the best oatmeal raisin cookie recipe I've ever tried.  These come very highly recommended, they were the often-requested favorite of my coworkers in California.  Did I mention that I have a serious problem with bringing in baked goods to work?

I do.  It's a cheap ploy to get people to like me, I know.  But it works.  Big time.




Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cookies
(adapted from allrecipes)

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring until no more flour shows.  Stir in oats, followed by walnuts and raisins.  

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 350.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet about 3 minutes before removing to cooling rack.


Cricket decided that she liked the looks of these...



Her face just cracks me up there... oh man what a nerd.  Don't worry, no puppies were fed cookies during the filming of this recipe.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try these. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dick, I saw the picture of you making these! I hope they turned out tasting as good as they looked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...