Friday, December 2, 2011

Dark Chocolate Layer Cake


When you start trying to really step up your baking for the sake of your blog, there can be some unanticipated side effects.

For instance, today my boss threatened to tinker with my schedule in such a way that I work the same shift as her from now on. 

It may have been the cake. 

One of my coworkers had a birthday a couple days ago, and didn't get a cake.  Inexcusable, I know.  So I made up for it today! 

Here's another unrelated side effect you may not have anticipated:

If you forget your ID card at work...I will probably cover up your face with scotch tape and proceed to illustrate features that may include but are not limited to, a moustache, goatee, monocle, bow tie, and top hat. 

And you should thank your lucky stars that that's all I did, because don't think for a second I didn't strongly consider creating a very elaborate scavenger hunt ending with you finding your ID card taped neatly beneath your desk. 

I'm wiley.




And I ate two pieces of cake today...ugh.

  
Cricket wasn't quite as interested in this one as she was in the cookies from yesterday.  

 

Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
(adapted from allrecipes)

2 cups strong brewed coffee, boiling hot
1 cup cocoa powder
2 3/4 cups flous
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a medium bowl, pour coffee over cocoa and whisk until smooth.  Allow to cool.  

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar well.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg.  Add vanilla.

Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with cocoa mixture until smooth and combined.

Divide batter into two 9'' cake rounds, buttered and floured, lined with parchment paper, and buttered and floured again.  

Bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...