Thursday, June 27, 2013

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies



I know I've talked a lot about girl scout cookies.  And I'm sure I've mentioned my affinity for thin mints and peanut butter patties (aka Tagalongs?) but there was also some sort of peanut butter sandwich cookie that I was never really fond of.  Maybe that's why it took me so long to try this recipe.

Also I'm not sure about the name I chose.  "Sandwich cookie" makes me think of like... a sandwich made into a cookie.  Like a ham and cheese cookie.  Gross.  But you know what's not gross?  These guys.  And oh how much easier dieting would be if they were.





I brought these into work and people promptly started calling them "homemade Nutter Butters" which I take as the highest of compliments.

As with anything remotely peanut butter-related (or anything that comes out of a jar) Cricket was all over me while I was making these.  She just restlessly paces around my feet like a hungry shark, just waiting for a chunk of dough to fall.  Crazy pooch.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
(from Joy the Baker)

Dough:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (soft)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Filling:

3 Tbsp unsalted butter, soft
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk


For the dough, beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer about 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add egg, beating until combines.  Add vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk to combine before slowly adding to the butter mixture, mixing only until just combined.  Stir in pecans.

Preheat the oven to 350.  Line cookie sheets with parchment.  Form dough into small balls, about a heaping teaspoon each.  Try to make uniform sizes.

Bake in the center of the oven 10-13 minutes or until just starting to brown.  Remove trays and allow to set on warm cookie sheet for another 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

For the filling, place butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar in stand mixer.  Beat until combined, adding milk 1 Tbsp at a time until a spreadable consistency is achieved. 

Spread the filling on the bottom of the cookie and top with a similarly sized cookie.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...