Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spinach and Turkey Lasagna




I had sort of a bad day today.

I had to take a really difficult test today that I don't think I did well on.

Miscellaneous bungling by a uniquely annoying woman in another office caused me no small amount of frustration.

My computer crashed repeatedly all day, especially after I started to feel safe and did a lot of work that I failed to save.

A middle school aged kid threw a rock at my car on the way home.

I know these aren't really that big a deal, but all the little things add up, you know.



But you know what makes everything better?  A long phone conversation with your mom, and some serious comfort food.  Now when I talk about comfort food, I clearly mean lasagna.  I know that mashed potatoes and country fried steak comfort some people...but for me, pasta smothered with cheese and sauce takes the cake any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Have I told you how awesome my mom is?  She really is.  I won't begin to enumerate the ways in which she's so wonderful, because that list would be exhaustive.  Suffice it to say, this lasagna isn't as good as hers...frankly because no one's is or ever will be...but it's close.  And it makes me feel closer to home when I'm in reality, crazy far away.


Spinach and Turkey Lasagna
(adapted from allrecipes)


2 tsp olive oil

1 small onion diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey

3 cups marinara (24 oz.)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2.5 cups ricotta (I use part skim)
1 egg
5 oz fresh chopped spinach
2 cups shredded mozzerella
1/4 tsp nutmeg (scant)
1/3 cup parmesan (scant)
9 no-boil lasagna noodles




Warm olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute about 4 minutes, or until garlic starts to brown.


Add turkey, brown over medium heat.  Reduce heat to low and add sauce.  I just used a jar of store-bought marinara.  Add Italian seasoning, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the sauce, stirring well.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally while you mix up the ricotta.


In a medium sized bowl, mix the chopped spinach, ricotta, and egg.  


Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 glass dish.  Place 3 lasagna noodles side by side in the bottom of the pan.  Layer 1/3 the ricotta mixture over the noodles, followed by 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the mozzerella, and 1/3 of the parmesan.  Create 3 of these layers on top of one another.


Preheat the oven to 375.  Place lasagna in the oven in the center rack and bake for about 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool and set an additional 5 minutes.  



1 comment:

  1. Boo, this is so sweet it made me cry. I had everyone in the office read it! You are way too good to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...