Sunday, January 8, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper and Lime Crab Cakes


I thought that, it being the new year and all, my coworkers would basically set me on fire if I brought cookies in to work this early in the year.  I mean...who wants someone tempting them to ruin their diet?  Not me.

Let's not even get into how irresistible the cookie dough would be and then how I "might as well eat a cookie" after consuming all that raw batter.  Is is just me or is raw cookie dough all the more delicious because of the slight danger of salmonella?  Yeah...I live my life on the edge.  Anyway.

Much to my surprise yesterday I was assaulted by disappointed exclamations of "where's the cookies?!"  I've created a monster, basically.

I've also created some delectable little crab cakes.  




They don't hold a candle to the ones I had over Christmas break...those were ridiculously delicious, but they'll do in a pinch.



Roasted Red Pepper and Lime Crab Cakes
(adapted from skinny taste, makes 4 cakes)


8 oz. lump crab meat 
14 Ritz crackers, crushed
4 Tbsp roasted red pepper, diced small
1 lime, juiced.
2 Tbsp parsley
1 egg, 1 egg white
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp low fat mayo
2 green onions, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste


For the crab cakes, in a medium bowl, using a fork, break up your crab meat into medium sized chunks.  You don't want the meat too small, but you don't want the chunks too big either.  


In a seperate bowl, combine crackers, 2 Tbsp red pepper, 1/2 the lime juice, parsley, eggs and egg whites, green onions, and 1 Tbsp mayo.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir well.  Fold in crab meat, don't over mix.


Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, pack the crab meat mixture into the cup, then turn upside down on the foil.  Tap a couple times with a fork to loosen the crab cake.  Repeat to form 4 crab cakes


Cover the cakes and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.  


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place crab cakes on the center rack for ten minutes, remove and flip the cakes, and cook another 10 minutes.


While the cakes are cooking, mix together 1/4 cup mayo, 2 Tbsp chopped red peppers, and the remaining lime juice.  Using a small blender, puree until smooth (mine was still a little chunky but delicious).  This is your sauce with which to top the crab cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...