Sunday, April 21, 2013

Restaurant Style Salsa





I haven't written a post in quite awhile, I know...I'm so sorry!

A lot has been going on in my life and it's been harder than usual to find time to post.  However, I think the best solution is just to dive right back into it.  Shall we?

My friend Amanda and I used to work together (I miss you!) and it seemed like we were called upon almost weekly to bring in food for various occasions.  It was a lot of fun, and it was so nice having a kindred baking spirit there.  However, sometimes if she was busy or didn't have time to bake, she'd bring in salsa.  

The best salsa.  


I (new to salsa-making) thought it must have been hard.  I really hate chopping tomatoes, and it just seemed like...I don't know.  Nothing but chopping tomatoes.  Then I stumbled along the perfect, super easy, delicious salsa recipe ever.

Now this is coming from someone who, if I had to choose only one food to eat for the rest of my life...chips and salsa breaks into at least the top five.  So to make me crave it even more than that?  It's a feat not to be underestimated.  

Of course, the original recipe is from the Pioneer Woman, whose blog I am constantly scouring for ideas.  



Restaurant Style Salsa
(adapted from Pioneer Woman)

1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
2 cans Rotel (I like 1 original, 1 mild)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalepeno, chopped w/ seeds and membranes still in
1/4 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1 lime juiced

Note: food processor recipes are always weird to write.  Above I've listed ingredients as chopped/minced etc...but usually when I'm throwing them in the food processor I roughly chop them into chunks and let the processor do the work.  That's how the directions are written.

Place garlic cloves in the processor, pulse several times until garlic is finely minced.  Follow with onion, cilantro, and jalepeno, pulsing until no large chunks remain.

Next, add the cans of tomatoes and Rotel to the processor.  Sprinkle sugar, salt, cumin, and lime juice (use 1 whole lime if the lime is small...if it's large, use half and add more to taste).  Pulse about 10 times.  Don't go crazy with it.  Taste and adjust salt, sugar, or lime as desired.

I store this in mason jars in the fridge for no more than 4 days.  


3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Ashley! Can't wait to try this recipe for our Father's Day get together. Keep on posting! Kristen@piratekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen...I hope you all enjoy this tomorrow! Take care.

      Delete
  2. I simply couldn’t leave your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual info a person provide for your guests? Is going to be again ceaselessly to check up on new posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...