Sunday, March 4, 2012

Costa Rica Day 3 Cloud Forest




Today was the real rainforest day.  We're still in the town of Monteverde, but today we spent most of it in the Cloud Forest in Selvatura Park.  I'll get into all that in a bit.

We came back in the afternoon and visited this awesome little restaurant in town.  I liked the way it looked from the outside.  We were going for authentic this time...trying to make up for the Italian restaurant yesterday.




I ordered the chicken special, featured below.


I'm getting the gist of Costa Rican food...it generally incorporates rice, beans, and any sort of meat, and my favorite part...fried plantains.  I actually had four different carbs in this meal, a first for me.  Pasta, rice, potatoes and yuca...a root that ends up tasting a lot like a delicious potato.


And heck, why not.  A pina colada.  It was all super great and very authentic.  The restaurant was tiny, the owner and his whole family cooking, waiting on us, the whole nine yards.  It was great!



We also went to the famous Monteverde cheese factory (yeah crazy I know right?) and had the best strawberry milkshake ever invented and some awesome looking cheese.  Totally random...totally exceptional.

And of course the rainforest.

I know this has nothing to do with food, but if you ever go to Costa Rica, do yourself a favor and visit the Cloud Forest.  And when you do, you NEED to zip line.  


First off, you look just super cool with your nerd helmet.

I'm even a little scared of heights and I had the time of my life.  Seriously.

At the end there was what they call a "tarzan swing" which basically involves clamping you to a nylon cord and pushing you off a CRAZY high platform and just letting you swing like nuts for awhile.  Yeah I screamed.  I'm not ashamed.  It was exhilarating.  And at least I didn't Tarzan yell like THREE of the dudes on the tour.  Three.

Anyway, it was a gorgeous wonderful super fun day and we are off to Montezuma tomorrow!


Oh.  One last thing before I go.  Yesterday I said I thought there were 500 insane Costa Rican bicyclists on that scary road.  Well we were talking to our zip-line guide and he said there were 5000 participants.  So yeah.  Insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...