Monday, November 25, 2013

Nutella Stuffed Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


I committed the number one sin a food blogger can commit.  I ate them all before I got the picture.  Sure I got several pictures, and some of them are okay, but as you might imagine when you think of a stuffed cookie...the important part is on the inside.  And I did NOT cut one in half and take a photo...or even take a bite and take a photo.

Mostly because they were so good I almost ate my hand as well.


But then...providence!  I had ferreted away a tiny bit of dough (enough for three cookies as it were) that I had fully intended to eat raw, in one sitting, like the grubby little creature that I am.  However, as is typical of squirrel creatures that hide treats for later, I forgot where it was (or even that it existed at all).  And that's how I saved myself from having to eat yet another entire batch of these.







Some people have never tried Nutella.  I feel sorry for these people.  They should stop reading this stupid blog immediately and go start living their lives like the rest of us.  I'm pretty sure you can find it anywhere these days.  Do it, and do it quickly.  Bring a spoon.

Some people prefer snootier, non-Nutella choco-hazelnut spreads.  Though it smacks of hipster, I'm still cool with that because you don't need all the sugar that's in Nutella in order to appreciate the delicious flavor combination that it is at it's core.  The sugar is great, don't get me wrong.  We can still be friends.

Some people don't like Nutella.  These people are terrorists.  Remember, if you see something, say something.

I imagine people might exist that don't like chocolate chip cookies...but I doubt it.  I'm pretty sure that's a myth.

Anyway, that, in so many words, is why these cookies are bonkers delicious and you should make them omg right now.

Nutella Stuffed Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp 2% plain greek yogurt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar Nutella or chocolate-hazelnut spread, chilled in fridge
Fleur de Sel (or coarse sea salt) for sprinkling on top

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt until combined.  In a saucepan, brown the butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Mix in egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt until combined.  Gradually add the dry ingredients on low in 3 batches until no flour is visible.  Fold in the chocolate chips.

Refrigerate your cookie dough for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.  (I usually cut corners and skip this step, but I think it really helps the flavor of these, if you can stand the wait.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper.  Roll about 1 1/2 Tbsp of dough and flatten into a dough circle.  Place about 1 tsp (or as much as you like/can fit) in the middle of the circle and then place another flat dough circle on top and crimp edges to seal.  Sprinkle with a pinch of fleur de sel or sea salt before placing in the oven.

Place dough balls on the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake 9-12 minutes or until just starting to brown.  Remove from oven and allow to sit on cookie sheet about 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...