Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lentil Soup with Tomatoes and Carrots


Happy New Year!

Okay, so I'm more than a little late on that.  Admittedly.  The holidays this year have been a whirlwind, but guess what?  I trudged through the misery and sadness that is putting away all the Christmas decorations, so it's official.  We're done with the holiday season...for now.



Anyway, as I do every year, I went way overboard with my resolutions.  I just have this really bad habit...when I get started thinking about all the positive changes I could make to my life, I just kind of go big.  And by big I mean really big.  Like reaching...a lot.

So...I resoluted?  Resolved?  Yes, resolved to eat better, work out more, and a few other insane things that we're not even going to get into.  In order to kick start my eating better, I'm trying to go without meat for awhile. 

I know...I know.  But don't bust out the hippie-skewering pitchforks and tofu-burning torches yet.  I'm trying it out.  Trust me, I was as skeptical as you probably are.

But for my first veg-meal, I made this soup.  It is delicious and filling.  Who would have thought?  Certainly not me.

Lentil Soup with Tomatoes and Carrots
(adapted from allrecipes)

1 onion
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
2 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
2 tsp basil
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
2  cups dry lentils
8 cups water
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt (more to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper (more to taste)

In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil.  Add the onion, carrots, and celerty.  Cook and stir a few minutes until the onion is tender.  Add garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaves.  Cook, stirring for two minutes.

Add lentils, water, tomatoes, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir, heating to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer one hour.

In the last 5 minutes before serving, stir in lemon juice and spinach until it's wilted.



2 comments:

  1. Ash, I'm going to use this recipe for soup at the Studio. Thanks. We just do vegan soups, and this one sounds incredible!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it Aunt Lisa! Hope things are going well up at Breathe...I hope I get to see it sometime soon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...