Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chocolate Raspberry Crumb Bars




I have done just a remarkably terrible job of keeping up with the holidays this year.  I love Christmas time, of course...but between work and Christmas shopping and making up goofy songs to sing to Cricket, I just feel super short on free time this season.

So to make up for that, I tried to bust out the stops the other day by making these bars.  




These bars began basically with me craving raspberry jam.  I know that's not classy or foodie or whatever, but sometimes I just don't care.  I was ready to grab a spoon and eat it out of the jar.  Luckily, before I resorted to devouring condiments, I found this recipe.


I try not to talk up my own baked goods too much, at least not in reality.  I mean, I know on here I'm always all "delicious" this and "sweet sweet" that etc.  In reality I'm quite mild-mannered about my food. 

However.

I brought these in to work and throughout the day I'm pretty sure I described them as tasting like "heaven in my mouth", "raspberry chocolate insanity", and "magic angels".

Enough said.


Chocolate Raspberry Crumb Bars
(adapted from what's cooking america)

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 tsp warm water


Preheat oven to 350.  Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter about 2 minutes, until creamy.  Add in flour and brown sugar, beating until well mixed.

With lightly floured fingers, press about 1 3/4 cups flour mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.  Bake in the preheated oven about 15-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn a light golden brown.  Remove from the oven and set aside.

In a saucepan over low heat, combine 1/2 cup semisweet and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, along with the can of sweetened condensed milk, stirring until melted and smooth.  Pour over hot crumb crust and smooth into an even layer.

Stir pecan bits into the remaining flour crumb mixture.  Crumble the mixture evenly over the top of the chocolate layer.  

Place 1/2 cup jam into a small bowl.  Add 1 tsp warm water and stir to mix.  Microwave about 30 seconds, or until the jam is a thin enough in consistency to drizzle.  Drizzle the jam evenly over the crumb layer.

Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup semisweet and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips on the top of the crumb and jam layer.  Bake in the preheated oven at 350 about 25-30 minutes, or until the center is set.  Allow bars to cool in pan before cutting into squares.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...