Friday, August 17, 2012

Sunflower Wheat Bread


Let me share something with you.  I'm not the neatest nor the tidiest person in the world.  I wish I was.  I wish my "baking cabinet" was anything less than chock brimming full of a ridiculous amount of spices, flours, powders, salts, nuts, and chocolate chips...but that's just reality for you.

Let me tell you another little fact nugget.  I can be a little klutzy.  Just every now and then.  In weird ways.  Like for instance, if I'm going to drop two heavy-ish items in the course of my baking, at two separate times, from rather high up...say from that overstocked cabinet perhaps...then of course, obviously, both of those items are going to fall squarely on the exact same toe.

Who does this happen to?  Anyone?  No.  Nope, that would be me.  Anyway.  It's really bruised and hurts to walk on and cry cry cry.

But this bread is worth a little pain and suffering.  I hope when you make it there's a good deal less of both.




It occured to me I haven't posted a photo of Cricket looking plaintively at my baked goods in awhile.  She still does...every time...I just don't always catch it.


Sunflower Wheat Bread
(adapted from Joy the Baker)

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup honey
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice that has sat for 5 minutes)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a loaf pan, I used butter. 

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together honey, egg, buttermilk (or soured milk), and melted butter.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once, folding until the flour streaks have almost disappeared.  Don't overmix.  Fold in most of the sunflower seeds, reserving some to sprinkle on top.  No flour streaks should be visible. 

Pour batter into loaf pan, making sure it's evenly filled.  Bake for 40 minutes or so, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This bread looks like something i would eat all myself if I baked it. Why aren't you gaining weight? Love Granny G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Jim to help me eat it, but this stuff was so good I definitely could have finished it by myself!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...