Friday, April 13, 2012

Chocolate Double Peanut Pretzel Cookies


I don't know if you noticed this about me...I bake a lot of cookies.  It's kind of my thing.  Possibly my favorite thing to bake, and definitely my favorite thing to bake.

And of course, like most people out there, I find there to be a special particular allure that comes along with the appropriate ratio of chocolate to peanut butter.  When I was little my mom (who never skipped dessert but inexplicably has always remained perfectly-figured and gorgeous to this day) used to make the most delicious brownies and then swirl peanut butter through them.  Like all picky little nerd children, I was skeptical at first, but after one taste I never looked back.  These cookies replicate that experience for me, but just take it to the next level.

They don't necessarily come out looking gorgeous...and people will be skeptical.  Here's what will happen.

Me: "Hey want a cookie?"
People: (Doubtful eyebrow raise, hesitation) "...What kind are they?"
Me: "Chocolate Double Peanut Pretzel?"
People: (Sigh) "I guess I'll try one," (takes bite, pauses), "oh my gosh these are the best thing you've ever made."




That's ok.  Because you know, some cookies are beautiful on the inside.

These cookies in particular are the nerdy girl in high school who takes off her glasses and turns into the prom queen.  Inner beauty is a delicious message worth spreading, one confection at a time, coming soon to an office potluck near you.

Unassuming-looking, crisp and rough-looking on the outside belies the brownie-like, soft chewy goodness packed with peanut butter chips, pretzels, and chocolate covered peanuts on the inside.


Chocolate Double Peanut Pretzel Cookies


(makes about 30 cookies, adapted from blue eyed bakers)

8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp dutch process cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 heaping cup peanut butter chips
1 cup chocolate covered peanuts (I used Goobers)
1 cup pretzels, chopped

Preheat the oven to 325.

In a double-boiler, melt chocolate chips and butter, stirring occasionally.  The mixture may be thick, don't freak out.  It will be fine.

Beat eggs and sugar on medium in stand mixer until combined.  Add melted chocolate mixture, then stir in vanilla.  Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, stirring just until combined.

Stir in pretzels, chocolate covered peanuts, and peanut butter chips.

Drop by about heaping tablespoons-ful onto lightly greased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.  Bake at 325 for about 13 minutes, or until tops begin to crack and shine.  Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet a few minutes before removing to wire cooling racks.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...